Re: New England Numbers

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New England Numbers
From: PZahornask@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 23:20:21 EST
In a message dated 2/15/99 9:40:03 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
dstohn@mediaone.net writes:

> Anybody in the NER using number 99 out there?  Or, does anyone care if I
>  use 99? 199? 9?

Debbie-

Before you go out and buy numbers there are a couple of things that you need
to look at.

First, NER does not assign each driver a number, not in the sense that many
regions do, starting at 1 and going up from there.  Instead, NER follows the
National numbering system in that each driver is in a class and has a number
within that class. (BTW, I am not picking on the smaller clubs that give each
driver an individual number.) This way, there can be a 29AS, 29DS, 29ASP and
so on.  With over 200 people showing up to some of our events, a straight
numbering system is not feasible.

Second, if this is your first year, you will probably want to take advantage
of our excellent Novice Program.  The novice program pits new competitors
against each other, with the competitors' times being adjusted using the PAX
formula to determine the best driver.  In this case, numbers are assigned at
registration and two large, preprinted numbers are given to be taped to the
inside rear seat windows.  (This is done to prevent the 'shoe polish problem'.
When it rains, well, no one really thinks to put it on the inside of the
window)

If you want to get some more region specific answers to questions, join the
NER Solo mail list.  Directions to which can be found at:

http://www.ner.org/News/sololist.html

See you in April.

Paul Zahornasky
29 HS - 87 Integra