Re: Holy WOT, Batman! Stuck Miata Throttle

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Holy WOT, Batman! Stuck Miata Throttle
From: Mike Bultemeier <hottvr@tfs.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 07:54:07 -0600
Sounds like you guys are TLS material, with duct tape and all. Kinda
reminds
me of last spring. It was only the second or third AutoX I had ever
driven. I was in my newly aquirred Tiga FF1600. This is the only Auto X
car I have ever driven other than a shifter Kart.As a new driver I
expected to make some stupid mistakes.
I also knew that in the Formula Ford things happen really quick. I left
the line on my second off three runs. Everything went well until I came
out of the last turn and mashed the pedal to the floor for the finish.
With shift light on at(7000 RPM's) it happened. With just a few feet to
go to trip the timer the steering wheel came off in my hands. I hit the
brakes and stabbed the clutch in. The finish was slightly down hill and
,off camber to the right towards a high curb. As I slid to a stop with a
death grip still on the wheel I realized I had stopped about 6 inches
short of the curb. I had failed to get the wheel all the way on and
allow the spring loaded button to CLICK into place.. Now everytime I
come out of a McDonalds and see the Ronald McDonald sign that says "Make
it click" I think of that day. Good thing your Co-Driver did some quick
thinking or this incident might have been serious.
Maybe it would be a good thing for all of us to do a little "What would
I do if?" before the season starts.

Mike Bultemeier TLS#1