Re: Urban Legend (was RE: Type R availability)

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Urban Legend (was RE: Type R availability)
From: Bret Dodson <bret@serv.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:26:01 -0800 (PST)
This is not related to the Integra Type R at all, but is now Miata R
related.  I spouted some pedantry stating that the conventional wisdom in
Miata-land is that R models are pretty much needed to do well nationally.
I believe Mr. Raymond is campaigning a non-Sport package '99, so we'll
have to see if the same theory applies to the second generation cars.

At any rate, I stated that there are stories of non-R Miatas trphying at
national events, but that this was so rare as to be likened to urban
legend.

To which Darrin Disimo replied:

> I just want to set the record straight.  An 'R Miata is not required
> to trophy. There have been a few who have trophied at Nationals in a
> non-R Miata.

Really?  I noticed a few non-R Miatas in Topeka, but don't recall if any
of the trophy winners were not R's.

I then pontificated a bunch of production figures and my thoughts on the
Type R imbroglio.  Mr. DiSimo closes with:

> Remember, there are a fair number of Miata's in BS that are not R models.
> And a good number are pretty competitive.

Who?  I'm genuinely curious.  I've experienced alot of apprehension from
other members of the Miata flock when I ever suggest doing something
different.

I have a buddy with a non-R Miata (actually it's a C-package luxo miata)
set up nearly identically to mine except for his power steering.  I can
make his car go almost as fast as mine, never faster. I've been curious to
try out a "normal" Miata without power steering to see how it would
compare to my R model.

Who are these fast guys with non-R Miatae and what type of cars are they
driving?  I'd love to be able to show members of the local Miata club that
they can be competitive with their non-R Miatas.

regards,
Bret Dodson
'96 Miata R (definitely faster than my '92 - though the '92 was noticably
more nimble)
Seattle, WA