Re: Importing to Ca. (slight Ax content)

To: <asp125@concentric.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Importing to Ca. (slight Ax content)
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 20:30:59 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Smokerbros@aol.com <Smokerbros@aol.com>
To: asp125@concentric.net <asp125@concentric.net>; autox@autox.team.net
<autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Friday, February 05, 1999 12:52 PM

>In a message dated 99-02-05 01:50:17 EST, asp125@concentric.net writes:
>
><<
> Do any of you left-coasters know if there are hassles bringing a 49-state
> car into CA? Especially one that's been modified (later engine, stock
> otherwise). What are the pitfalls or potential costs: emissions, retrofits
> etc?? Reply privately if not of general interest to the list. Any BTDTs? I
> am out of state, but might bring my cars with me.
>  >>

...and CHuck keeps going:

>No retrofits, just a one-time $300 "Environmental impact fee per car,
unless
>it was manufactured to CA emissions to begin with.

CHuck's right -- with the addition that all the original emissions equipment
must be intact and operational.  Engine swaps have to conform to the later
of the engine or chassis, if I remember correctly.  Other mods are only
judged if they alter or negate the installed emissions control system.

And if you're moving to California courtesy of the military, you can waive
the $300 fee as long as you're on active duty.  (Of course, you can also
waive the emissions inspections by registering in your state of record.)  If
you sell the car to a California resident later, though, someone has to pay
the $300, and you (the seller) have to get a current emissions inspection.

BTDT -- twice!

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing