Re: SCCA ESP Protest

To: "Scotty *BOB* White" <we2fat4asp@seanet.com>, <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>
Subject: Re: SCCA ESP Protest
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 13:43:35 -0800
>    So how is the boost controlled by the mfg? Is it with a fuel cutoff or
> ign retard or what? And what sets it off? Is it set off by excessive
boost?
> Is it knock sensors? Or is it a mechanical device?

Depends on the car (I've lost track of the thread's origin, so perhaps you
all were talking about a particular car).  My own SVO Mustang has fuel
cutoff as a function of the rev limiter only; a knock sensor and ignition
retard to protect against detonation; but none of these function as boost
control per se.  Nevertheless the engine management system is computer
controlled, as today's engines are.

Boost on the SVO is controlled as a function of a cooperation between a
simple integral mechanical wastegate (AiResearch T03 turbo) and an
electro-mechanical boost solenoid --- the latter of which simply allows one
to choose low boost or high boost (depending on available fuel octane).
Turbos being pretty simple torque enhancers, I would expect most turbocars
to be controlled by simple mechanical wastegates, integral or separate.

Richard Nichols
San Diego, CA  USA
rnichol1@san.rr.com

86 Ford Mustang SVO (61B) - 1C