Re: Cordless impact wrenches - the real deal

Subject: Re: Cordless impact wrenches - the real deal
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:51:32 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Wes Shew wrote:
> > Yeah, 12 point sockets should be outlawed.  Never use a 12 point socket
> > unless you have a reason (and I can't come up with any).
>
> Can someone explain why 12 pts. are bad vs. 6 or 4 point?
> I don't get it. TIA

6 point sockets have a dramatically reduced tendency to round off stubborn
fasteners.  12 point sockets also don't buy you anything if you're using a
ratchet, as the ratchet will move to allow the use of a 6 point.  With a
fixed breaker bar type of thing 6 points may be a bit more annoying as
they go on in half the orientations of a 12 point, but you typically are
only using a breaker bar in situations where 12 points aren't appropriate
anyway and the 6 point's orientation can be changed by removing it and
rotating it 90 deg.

This isn't just me talking.  I've got two friends who are mechanics (real
ones, not play ones like me) who aslo hate 12 points.

Mark