Tow Vehicles Redux

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Tow Vehicles Redux
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:26:51 -0500
No sacred-cow tipping this time, I've got a real-world problem that requires a
real-world solution.

Here's the scoop: It has become apparent that if we're going to be doing all
this ProSolo vagabond stuff, that we really need to get a tow vehicle and
trailer. There's just no way that I can stuff 3 sets of wheels, tools, clothes,
and my crew chief into the Talon, never mind drive it that way on 4k km road
trips.

However, neither are we rich. While I think a 3-ton commercial box truck would
make an awsome rolling shop/living quarters/tow vehicle, the facts of life
require that whatever we pick up be suitable as secondary transport for the crew
chief during her real life - and the 3-ton just won't cut it, no matter how much
I beg and plead.

Furthermore, whatever this thing is, the truth of the matter is that it's a
second vehicle that can tow the race car, not a race car tow vehicle than can be
pressed into service as needed.  She actually cares what it looks like, can you
believe it? :(

So we've been prowling the used car lots trying to get a handle on what's
available, and what we can afford, and here's what we've found:

1) Full-size commercial panel vans. The come in white only and have seen some
use, but they almost always have V8 motors, and the rear compartment is stripped
out and ready for customization. And they're cheap. Downside: not very stylish.

2) Full size "civillian" vans. Cheaper than trucks, but come with seats we don't
need or want.

3) Minivans up the hoop, but nothing bigger than a V6 - will these tow at all?

4) Full size pickup trucks. Expensive and the cargo compartment is open to the
weather.

5) Jeep Grand Cherokee / Chevy Blazer Enclosed back (good) extra seats (bad),
and universally V6 powered.

My preferences run 1, 2, 4, 5, 3. My crew chief and Holder of the Funds prefers
5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Anybody have any advice? Can a V6 Blazer/Grand Cherokee pull 3300 lbs of car on
2000lbs of trailer? How about your average minivan?

DG