Re: considering an FF

To: "AutoX-CModified" <autox-cm@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: considering an FF
From: <gduncan2@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:47:04 -0700
> Mike B. wrote:
> What is the asking price for the car?

I don't know what price he's thinking since he wasn't advertising the car.
I contacted him knowing that the car has been sitting and to see if he
still had it and would consider selling it if he did have it.

> Dick Rasmussen wrote:
> The biggest thing will be the price and availability of the damaged
suspension parts.

>From what little I've actually gotten to talk to the owner, he already has all
the replacement parts needed except for a few very small items and a CV
joint.

> All the "consumables" like brake stuff, bearings, hoses, gears, cables and
so on are available from lots of vendors. Standard British racecar stuff.

This means Girling brake fluid? Not regular DOT 3/4?

> Ken Edney wrote:
>One big thing... do you fit into the car?  Most of the newer FF's were made
> for teenage boys.

I'm hoping I'll fit in an `87!!! The `84 of Alan Wagstaff's that I did a
couple of autox runs in back in October was snug but not a problem
for my 6'1" 230 lbs and size 12's!  :-))

> Don Elzinga wrote:
> Greg,
> It wouldn't be a bad idea to flush out the old fluid and put seal kits in
the calipers,
> master and clutch slave cylinders.   But after 9 years I'd be more
concerned
> about corrosion (cylinder bores, shock shafts, needle bearings, brake
calipers,
> radiators). It sounds like it ran for 8 or 9 years before it was parked.

After thinking about this I realized that some of the time frame info I
got from a mutual friend may be off since he was thinking the car
was a `90 or `91. It may very well have been sitting longer. I had seen
the owner at some of the autox events back then but wasn't aware
of exactly when he got the car. But I'm pretty sure he didn't drive it
for more than 3 years before I had heard he had crashed the car
while road racing. At least the crash happened exiting a very slow
180 turn (possibly top of 1st gear?)

> Did the crash damage the frame?  Are the brake rotors straight?

My friend didn't think the damage was more than the right suspension,
he did notice that none of the paint or bodywork had been damaged at least.

> Has the car run since the wreck, or is it in boxes?

No, it's been in storage and then moved to his new house a few years ago.
I'm of the understanding that the car is on it's wheels with some of the
replacement parts.

> Have mice been teething on the wiring harness?    Are all the pivot points
tight,
> CV joints smooth and free from slack, shift linkage in good shape?  You can
> put a lot of money into a car that runs, just fixing all the worn out parts.
And
> since you're converting it from road racer to autocrosser, count on buying
four
> gear sets and two dog rings (although if the old gears are in good shape you
> might be able to use 1st as 4th).  Also be sure to inspect the ring and
pinion
> through the fill plug.  If it's ever been run low on gear oil, that's an
$1100 repair bill.

These are things I'll be looking at when I get to see the car and talk in
length with the owner (Steve) on Saturday from a check list I'm putting
together so I don't forget any of the good info I'm getting from this list!

Thanks,

Greg Duncan
#184 EM Fiero
GT Used Race Tires