Dave Weitzenhof, Re: CM F2000

To: CHARLES J VOBORIL <cvoboril@msn.com>
Subject: Dave Weitzenhof, Re: CM F2000
From: Jim and Rose Ann <garryj@localnet.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 14:18:32 -0500
Hello all,
  Sorry to add another email to this but ...

A few days ago I contacted Dave Weitzenhof about the FC vs FF
performance issue.  As you probably all know, Dave is a many time
Runoffs Champion and understands vehicle dynamics through his
engineering experience and his immense skills as a race car driver.   He
has won National Championships behind the wheel of FFs and FCs.   I felt
we could use his input.  He agreed to allow me to forward his email to
all of you.

Weitzenhof, David wrote:

My opinion is that an FC will out-perform an equivalently-prepared FF on
most tracks, especially autocross.  The only exception might be a very
high-speed track or straight with little cornering and acceleration, where
the clean aero of the FF may give it a higher terminal velocity than the FC.
Since an FF has ~120 HP vs ~150 for an FC, plus the FC has bigger tires, the
FC would probably have to weigh ~25% more than the FF to be equal, even
without downforce.

Hope this helps.

Dave Weitzenhof
Bridgestone / Firestone Research, LLC