FF 2000 in CM

To: <seb@scca.com>
Subject: FF 2000 in CM
From: Jeff Slater <jeffslater@powercom.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 09:14:37 -0600
Dear SEB.

I am writing to express my opinion on the proposal to add FF2000 cars to the
CM Class.  I oppose this proposal.

One of the reasons I moved from competing in the stock classes to CM was
rules stability and cost.   A Formula Ford is a clearly defined vehicle,
readily available, and quite reasonably priced.

In my opinion, one of the risks the SEB runs by including the FF 2000 in CM
is cost escalation.   It is unknown if the FF2000 will be competitive,
however, if it proves to be the winning ticket, everyone in the class will
have to buy a new car.  While I respect the FF2000 owners wanting to compete
in a class allowing them to win, I do not see this proposal as a benefit to
the SCCA members competing in CM today.  As an alternative, I would suggest
creating a separate class for FF2000s.

I also wanted to address class participation.  As the registrar for the
Milwaukee Region, I do have some statistics on the subject.  In Milwaukee we
run local events which average 175 or so entrants per event.  We also host a
Central Division Event, which is a larger event drawing participants from
around the Midwest.  The following are some 2003 statistics comparing a
typical local event, a CenDiv event, and the Nationals:

Class           Local Event     CenDiv          Nationals

AS                  3                       4                   27
BS                  3                       9                   60
CS                  2                       8                   45
DS                  4                       6                   34
ES                  5                       7                   29
GS                  2                       4                   43
HS                  5                       5                   30
SS                  1                       4                   43
CM                 2                      11                 28

I believe the above data clearly indicates the participation rate in CM, at
least around here, is quite healthy when compared to other stock classes.
In fact, at more than one of the Central Division events this year, the CM
field was larger than any of the stock classes.

In summary, CM is a well defined, competitive, and well attended class.  I
believe it is in the best interests of the CM class and its member
constituents to leave well enough alone, and not adopt the FF2000 proposal.

Thanks you for your time and consideration.

Jeff Slater