Re: problem: picking up rubber

To: Gafisk@aol.com
Subject: Re: problem: picking up rubber
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:54:43 -0500
George,

I've noticed over the years that a lot of people confuse other people's
rubber with their own.  Without seeing your tires it's hard to tell, but
if the buildup is primarily along the inner edges, it might be your own
rubber.

I think this happens from getting the tires very hot, combined with large
slip angles.  The surface rubber gets soft, and then is pushed to the
inside as the tires slide along the pavement.

Different surfaces and conditions will trigger this more than others.
Some surfaces leave tires clean, others gum up the rubber, while others
scrape it off completely.  Sometimes that rubber sticks to the surface,
other times it blows away as black smoke.

In general, I'm with Steve -- if it's really other people's rubber, it's
primarily from driving different lines than they do, perhaps combined with
overheated tires.  If it's your rubber, it's from large slip angles,
perhaps combined with overheated tires.

In the first case, the "solution" is to keep your tires cooler, run
different lines, or run earlier in the day.  In the second case, the
solution is to keep your tires cooler and reduce your slip angles.

Mark