GCR and FCS "Purity"

To: autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: GCR and FCS "Purity"
From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:47:40 -0500
Good Morning:

While polishing aluminum for 6 hours, I was in Deep Thought trying to find the
meaning of life, the universe and everything. Once I found the answer, (42) my
thought went to a much more complex topic.  Solo II rules.  :-)

During the discussion of reverse gears, besides offending folks, I tried to
make a point about Formula Car classes for Solo II.  This goes back to several
discussions that have included a debate about "GCR purity".  My opinion is
that
this "Purity" is not the best way to accomplish what we truly intend.

The solo regs allow 13 exceptions (16.3.A to 16.3.M) that I believe should be
continued.  We are currently not required to have dual braking systems, fuel
cells, current roll bar, running lights, external master switch, mirrors and
windscreen, logbook, driver's suit, 180 degree vision?, deformable structures
(BM), on-board fire systems, and Homologation.  Several  of these exception
are
intended to allow older cars, that can not be easily updated, to compete.

If BM/CM/FM competitors really want to stretch the envelope, there is ample
opportunity.  In my opinion, since the GCR and FCS are predicated on racing
and
not Solo II,  there are many other design parameters that could be soloized.

What I would like to see (but I don't have a clue how it can be codified) is a
rule that requires BM/CM/FM to be road race cars.  I don't care if you change
gears and suspension settings, since these are items that were designed to be
changed.  What I don't want are changes that effect the nature of the car.

We haven't seen many examples yet, and I hope we never do, but it is very
possible to build a GCR/FCS legal car that is optimized for Solo II and almost
useless for road racing.  If this happens, I sure hope it is SLOW!

As I said, I don't know how this can be added to the rule book but I sure
don't
want any "specials in BM/CM/FM that dominate due to Solo only changes.  (I
also
don't want anyone with a name like Tommy in BM!   (I have enough trouble with
the Bruces, Erics. and Colans!  :-))

IMHO

Greg (thanks for listenin) Scharnberg

Underpowered Ralt RT5 (should be in CM)

PS:  As an example, we just had a BIG discussion of reverse gear and GCR
purity.  The concern was that allowing the removal of reverse could create a
loophole that allows a "special" transmission.  Guess what!  The FCS says "any
transmission may be used" and then sets a few specific design limitations.
Sounds to me like the problem already exists!  (If it really is a problem:-)

///
///  autox-cm@autox.team.net mailing list
///