Re: vacuum advance

To: William Lewis <william.lewis@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu>,
Subject: Re: vacuum advance
From: "jarrid_gross@earthlink.net" <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:40:55 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Bill,

I sort of disagree with the statements below.

Connecting the manifold vacuum to the vacuum advance
puts a mush stronger vacuum signal on the diaphragm than it was designed for
(20+ inches of HG) vs 10 or so
inches of HG coming from the throttle ports.

This will not yield the same load vs. advance rate, and will likley over
advance the timing at light load.

While I agree most engine LOVE lots of timing at or near idle, the timing needs
to go away as soon as ANY load
comes into play.

Another possible downside, (particularly if you have a more aggressive cam) is
that as the engine RPMs come up, and the
engine VE gets better (so the manifold vacuum gets stronger), the engine can
develop and oscillation of engine speed at idle
due to the changing continuous changing of timing.  This I have seen with
poorly setup engine management that puts too much
rate of advance based on manifold pressure (MAP).

Jarrid Gross