Re: Trademark Opposition Filing

To: alpines <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trademark Opposition Filing
From: Ron Tebo <mrtebo@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:02:05 -0600
All:

Below is a copy of the letter that will appear in the STOA newsletter on
this matter, that Rob asked me to forward to the list. If it has not
already appeared on the SAOCA list, would someone please post it?

Thanks

Ron Tebo

Tiger Trademark  Legal Action.
To all Club Members:
On July 7, 2005 we received notification that an individual had applied
to trademark the following: Sunbeam, Sunbeam Alpine, & Sunbeam Tiger.
The official filing date was July 5, 2005 which in turn gives opponents
30 days in order to file motion to oppose the request. Rick Mcleod from
Sunbeam Specialties and I immediately decided to oppose this individuals
request for the trademark because we (SS and STOA along with other
clubs) have prior use and claim to the name. I did some extensive
research on the subject and Rick and I concluded that we needed to
secure a trademark attorney.

With the help of Tom Ehrhart (Tiger Tom) from Tigers East Alpines East,
we were put in contact with Frank Mooney of Dunnigton, Bartholow, &
Miller LLP. Mr Mooney is an attorney in NYC, and happens to be a fellow
Tiger and Alpine owner. Within a few days of securing legal counsel I
posted a request to the tiger email list solicting donations to help
offset legal fees and we have had a good response. We (STOA, Sunbeam
Specialties, CAT, TEAE) have filed oppositions on behalf of all the
Sunbeam Tiger and Alpine owners and clubs.

The following is an update and a portion of the correspondence from our
attorney Frank Mooney: The NOTICES OF OPPOSITION opposing the attempt
to obtain a SUNBEAM TIGER trademark registration for automotive and
clothes by Michael T. Hughes of Decatur,GA. have been electronically
filed with and mailed to the Trademark Office on behalf of TE/AE,Sunbeam
Specialties,STOA and CAT during the period July 21,2005 through July
28,2005.I have electronic confirmation of each electronic filing
together with confirmation of the receipt of the appropriate trademark
office fee.In one instance[Sunbeam Specialities].......... The other
notifications will undoubtedly follow .Mr.Hughes has 40 days from July
21,2005 to answer which I calculate as being August 30,2005.  We have
begun the first part of the battle, filing an opposition and it may end
there.

However, we may need to take this action further and we are committed to
see this through. I would like to thank everyone who has sent in
donations thus far, and if anyone else would like to contribute STOA has
set up a legal defense fund for this matter. Donations to the legal fund
can be sent to:

STOA 893 Sycamore Road Pleasanton Ca 94566 Or via paypal at
stoa@comcast.net (please make a notation on your check, money order,

Rob Guerra, STOA Treasurer

Check out the new British Cars Forum: