Starter removal question

To: <alpines@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Starter removal question
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:15:29 -0600
Hey, guys:

Got a question about removing the starter from my Alpine.  First off, I've got
a Series I car with a Series V motor in it.  The starter has fried so I got
the book out and read the instructions (of which there were very, very few) on
how to remove the starter.  The book just says to disconnect the battery,
remove the starter lead at the starter, and pull the unit from the engine.
Well, that's all fine and good, but it says nothing about having to remove the
exhaust manifold.  The starter motor body hits against the rearmost inside
exhaust tube on the manifold (stock, by the way) before the drive gear
apparatus is disengaged from the flywheel area.

Is there a trick to removing the starter without having to take off the
intake/exhaust system?  It'd sure save me a lot of work if someone could
enlighten me, if it can be done at all.

Frustrated on a cold, blustery day in Oklahoma,
Andy Walker

Check out the new British Cars Forum: