Series 5 transmission/clutch tech advice requested

To: List Alpine <alpines@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Series 5 transmission/clutch tech advice requested
From: Ed Howard <edsonh2000@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:09:27 -0800 (PST)
Hi gang:

I have a 67 Series 5. Here are the symptoms.

If the car has ben sitting for a few days, it starts
up fine and shifts well in all gear includng reverse.
If I then drive say 20 miles or so (enough for the
engine to be at temp), it becomes more and more
difficult to shift. Then if I stop the car and come
back to drive it again several hours later, it is next
to impossible to get into gear (lots of grinding -- as
if pushing down on the clutch does nothing.)

With much elbow grease and the desire to pick up my
kid before the daycare closed, I managed to jam it
into third and limp down the road. After a few miles
it became somewhat easier to shift into all gears.

Theories:

1. Clutch shot?

2. Tranny low on gear oil?

3. other ideas?

All theories and remedies are greatly appreciated as
usual. SHould you need any more info that might help
you help ME, just lemme know.

Thanks,

Ed Howard
Orange COunty, CA