Re: Hitachi Alternator

To: "Ohan- SunbeamCanada" <yvrcanada@hotmail.com>, <alpines@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Hitachi Alternator
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:01:01 -0700
There really isn't much difference between the two except price. One is
about $20 cheaper than the other. I believe that the cheaper one is the
14231 model, and surprisingly, this is the actual part number that you can
ask for it by name at the auto parts store, I guess the part numbers are
universal.

The PHYSICAL differences is that they are wired a little differently,
internally anyway. The Cheaper one, 14231 (I think), is the one that I used.
There difference is the cannon plug connection has an "S" terminal as
opposed to an "R" terminal. Look at this at the auto parts store and compare
them side by side.

Tangent time: I think that the connection points lettering for all
alternators and generators is universal as well. They use the letters. A, B,
E, F, IG, L, N, P, R, and S, and they all mean the same thing between
manufacturers.

the 14231 uses a B, S, & L terminal. The difference between the R terminal
and the S terminal is that the R (+ Battery input) is a battery voltage
sensing terminal for the integral voltage regulator and is controlled by the
ignition switch, usually.
 The S terminal is the same thing but usually unswitched connection directly
to the battery, hot all of the time. I wired mine the same as in the Tom
Wiencek  tech tip, and he used the more expensive version. Mine worked just
fine.

 And just in case you don't know, B stands for positive alternator output,
and L stands for indicator light, the positive input for indicator light
circuit.

I can't comment on connection for a series 5. I know that others have USED a
Series 5 bracket to install it in a series 1-4. I made my own brackets. My
car is wired for the series 2.

I suggest that you get the wiring diagrams for a series 2, and compare it to
the wiring diagram for a series5 for locations since the colors are
different, yet the components are nearly the same. Take into account that
the cars also have different polarity. My car is now negative ground.

The wiring diagram for this conversion is on the Alpine 1959-1968 website,
as well as other places on the net. After investigating every possible
conversion, this is the simplest and cheapest and takes car of business.
Hope this helps. Lou