Re: Strombergland

To: "'Alpines'" <alpines@Autox.Team.Net>, "Bill Mounce"
Subject: Re: Strombergland
From: "P. R. Hulse" <phulse@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:06:59 -0800
Hi Bill,

You have discovered on off the little known secrets of Stromberg tuning.
Yes, it will bind when the fitting is tight and the jet is fully flush with
the bottom of the carb inlet face.
This is not allowed.  Here is how you fix it.
After assuring that the jet is flush and the 5/8 fitting is snug, loosen the
5/8 fitting by 3 flats of the fitting nut.  Now using a wrench light tap the
fitting on all side to center the fitting and retighten.  Repeat if
necessary until the piston and needle fall freely.  To test for proper
operation use the little lift pin on the side of the carb.  The piston
should fall freely and with a distinctive clunk.
Hope this helps.

Philip "Commodore Blues" Hulse

see my site at http://mysite.verizon.net/phulse

Subject: Strombergland

> Good morning
>
> Yesterday, I entered Strombergland, a mysterious and frustrating place.
Here
> is the first of, I am confident, many questions.
>
> In the bottom of the bowl is a 5/8" fitting that holds the mixture
adjustment
> screw.  With the screw out, if I fully tighten the fitting, the
piston/needle
> binds.  If I back it out 1/4 or 1/2 turn, everything moves freely.  Is it
OK
> to have the fitting backed out a bit, or does it need to fully engage (in
> which case I have other problems!)?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bill

Check out the new British Cars Forum: