Re: Stroking 1725

To: "Jan Servaites" <jservaites@woh.rr.com>, <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Stroking 1725
From: "humbersnipe" <humbersnipe@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:40:12 -0500
But even Avenger pistons are pretty old technology. Has anyone looked into
using a modern off-the-shelf piston with a different rod?

For instance, I'm parts manager at a Saturn dealer, and the 1.9 engine
Saturn used until 2002 has a nice piston. Short, light, coated skirts, low
tensile rings for better longevity, etc. I see these engines come apart at
200k miles with virtually no bore wear, you can still see the crosshatch on
the cylinders. They just need a new set of standard size rings and standard
size bearings and are good to go.

Surely we can do better than a piston engineered almost 40 years ago for the
Cricket/Avenger engine.

As for rods, has anybody checked the specs on the ones in the new inline
Chevy Vortec engines?

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE  USA