Rear end pinion bearing

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear end pinion bearing
From: Chris Mottram <c_mottram@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:14:06 -0700 (PDT)
My pinion bearing the the rear end of my SV is shot.
The local brit repair guy says its a big job to fix.
(i.e. He can't estimate the cost but will know once he
gets it apart)it looks like it takes some art and
special tools too.  I am considering just replacing
the entire rear end-axles and all with another unit.
Is repairing this a complicated job that would be too
much for a weekend warrior or cost a lot (i.e north of
$500) for someone to fix?  What is reasonable to pay
for a used one rear end?

thanks all,

Chris