Appreciate Those Flaggers!!

To: "Vintage Race Net" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Appreciate Those Flaggers!!
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:03:38 -0700
Hi Everyone,
For those of you who do not know me, my name is Carl McLelland. After a
lifetime of involvement in motorsports I moved into the 'drivers seat' five
years ago, first racing a Sunbeam Alpine and now a Lotus 61 formula Ford.
(Anyone looking for a driver for your formula B, Atlantic, BOSS, Indy, 3000,
5000...... I'm available!) I'm 'out west' in Sparks, Nevada, and race with
HSR-West and occasionally with CSRG.

I actually started 'flagging' with a couple friends over 40 years ago.
Flagging got us 'on course' since we were too young for competition licenses.
Training then consisted of: "take this yellow flag, kid. Wave it if something
happens on the track".

I've always respected those folks standing at the corners but until last week
never had a true understanding of what's required of a 'modern day' flagger.
So, to fill that 'void' in my 'databank of worldly knowledge' I attended Steve
O'Byrnes N.A.S.A. certified flagging school last week. Steve's school was low
key/low pressure but filled with information. I can assure you that as much as
I thought I knew about flags, they pack quite a wealth of information! Not
only that, that guy standing out there either freezing, burning, getting
windblown, desperately needing to hide behind something for relief, get a
drink of water/soda/........, is one Busy Dude(!!): what with a whole gamut of
flags, radios, etc, etc.

Following Steve's class I worked the next day on a corner at the N.A.S.A.
races at Reno-Fernley Raceway. This, too, was an education that couldn't be
purchased for any price! If your like me, you can improve your own driving
substantially just by analyzing what other people are doing on the track. At
the end of the day Steve offered to pay us for our efforts. I told him I
should be paying him(!!) as I was the one who profited from the days
activities.

What all this is boiling down to: take a day and, if not to become a certified
flagger, at least spend a whole day out there on a corner! When you see things
from their perspective your going to (1) have a better understanding of what
they are trying to tell you and (2) you'll understand what THEY are going
through(!!!!) so that YOU can have a safe experience on the track!~!

My "cooldown lap" trademark has always been a crisp salute to the flaggers as
I drove by (even if a little difficult to make a crisp salute from a formula
car cockpit).

To sum it up; I've always held a deep regard for people who give of themselves
for others. You Ladies and Gentlemen out there working those corners Have More
Than Earned My Respect And Admiration!

Carl

Steve O'Byrnes email address if you desire additional information:
union76racer@yahoo.com