SAL numbers

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: SAL numbers
From: "Vic Hughes" <v.hughes@austarmetro.com.au>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:17:15 +1000
As we all know, all good Alpines have a small metal tag with an SAL number.  I
have been told and have read that SAL stands for Sunbeam Assembly Line - kind
of makes sense...

Except that other Sunbeams have tags too, and they are not prefixed SAL.
Sunbeam Rapier hardtops have the prefix SFS, Rapier Convertibles are SCS
(leading me to suggest that the first S means Sunbeam, the F means Fixed roof,
the C means Convertible).

Other Rootes cars have tags too - Audax Hillman Huskys are prefixed HPS.
Audax Minxes have 4 letter prefixes like MFAS and MCFE The first letter M
seems consistent with meaning Minx and the second letter F or C seems
consistent with Fixed roof or Convertible.

So does anyone know for sure that SAL stands for Sunbeam Assembly Line (and if
so, how) , or is it something we have all been assuming for all this
time....???

Cheers, Vic