Re: Reduced gear starter

To: Christopher Albers <christopher.albers@biola.edu>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Reduced gear starter
From: "jarrid_gross@earthlink.net" <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:26:42 -0800 (PST)
Christopher,

>On a another subject, I have a discharge problem that I cannot seem to
>isolate.  If the care sits for more than a few days it cannot be started
>again without a jump.  I am hoping a reduced gear starter will mitigate
>this a little.  I seem to recall there being a drop in reduced gear
>starter available (Isuzu?).  Can anyone tell me the model or car that this
>starter was made for?  I want to get one from a local rebuilder.

The discharge problem is a seperate issue that will need to be addressed on its
own.  The gear reduction starter will reduce the load on the battery which will
improve
your chances of starting if the battery is weak.

I have head of the isuzu drop in, but Ive also heard its not really a drop in,
and that
some machining needed to be done to un-metricize it.

there are some folks selling new gear reduced starters for MGs sunbeams ECT on
ebay.

here is one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2466639001&category=10076

Compared to the VB price, or the tilton price this looks quite good.

HTH and cheers,

Jarrid Gross