The temperature discussion

To: Alpine list members <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: The temperature discussion
From: Carl Wade <110156.3206@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:34:44 -0500
I would agree with the head gasket being suspect,
once you have eliminated other simple and common
causes.  Shooting the smoke out one side only on
the exhaust is a strong indication, in my estimation.

I have seen this be the cause of coolant loss and
overheating at high RPM operation on one marine
engine model in particular.  It is a 4 cyl model with
an aluminum block and cast iron head.

The combustion gasses aerate the coolant, and
in that way reduce its effectiveness both in thermal
conduction and capacity. This kind of leak will not
be seen on either a compression test or a cooling
system leakage test (using a pressurizing tool).

Carl Wade
Williamson, New York State USA   (near Lake Ontario)

B395000858  LRX