Re: the fun never ends...snapped lug bolt...

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the fun never ends...snapped lug bolt...
From: Keith Johnson <keiths55@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:42:06 +1000
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>

 Anyway, I'm concerned as you might be also that Paul's other lug bolts are
compromised as well. I'd want to be sure I knew the reason for the failure
and that it didn't apply to the other
> three bolts - or other fifteen from that matter.

My two bobs worth,

One broken bolt, tells me it has been "abused".
Who do you know who tightens the nuts with a torque wrench??
Even if you do them this way once and get a "feel" for how much pressure to
put on the lug wrench that Rootes put with the car.
Most people over tighten these nuts, worried they might come off??

If you have pulled the half shaft out to replace one you might as well do
the other three while you are at it.

Keith
55 Californian
57 Rapier