Re: Weber linkage

To: spmdr@juno.com
Subject: Re: Weber linkage
From: JACranwell@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:18:38 EDT
I just checked, and the carb was made by Webber in Italy.

Although the carb originally came off an SIV (1600cc) donor car, I now have
it my SIII, which now has the later 1725. It must have been a retro-fit on the
SIV. The manifold from my original Solex for the SIII fits just right.

I previously had the twin Stromberg set-up from the 1725 engine, but found
them too much trouble to keep in tune, and had problems with float levels etc.,
so I switched to the much lower maintenance Webber.

I've not changed the jets from what was set up for the 1600 engine, but will
get around to it some day.

It runs fine, although a little bit rich, and therefore fuel economy is not
as good as it would be with leaner jets.

I get no flat spots, and it is smooth throughout the range. Idle is a bit
rough, after too much time in heavy traffic, but that is more due to
overheating
than the carb set-up, as it's fine coming down from a fast, open run.

Regards,

Julian.