Re: Fan Mail

To: rtaylor456@comcast.net, Alpine List <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fan Mail
From: Jane & Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:18:48 -0700
rtaylor456@comcast.net wrote:

>First of all... many, many Thanks for all the great suggestions concerning the
>heating problems I'm having with my Alpine. I will post the results once the
>modifications are complete - which brings me to the following:
>
>I was referred to Smitty's Sunbeam in San Diego for a "six blade" high output
>"rigid plastic fan". He has them no more - which seems to be the situation all
>around. Rick, Curt nor VB have any fans of this sort. But, I want one - got to
>have one.
>
>Does anyone have any idea where I could procure one of these fans?
>
>Thanks Again,
>
>Rob T
>SV 66

Rob:
I believe the one I bought from Smitty a few years back was a Hayden brand fan.
It was an off the shelf fan, but Smitty had to ream out the center hole
slightly to get them to mount flush with the pulley. This was somewhat delicate
to do since if you're off, the fan will be out of balance. Hayden has a web
site with a catalog at haydenautomotive.com   Measure your puny stock fan
diameter and compare it with their catalog and you should be able to find one
that works. Be sure it's the rigid plastic fan and not a flex fan, as flex fans
tend to restrict air at high speeds. I don't remember, but you may be able to
fit a slightly larger Hayden fan in there, larger than stock. Check all the
clearances before you do that, though.

Steve Sage