Re: Howes and headlight rims

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Howes and headlight rims
From: "barbara laifman" <barbaralaifman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:11:48 -0800
> Chrome headlight rims cause the car to look almost "choppy".  They
> noted that the use of Chrome rims on the Minx was a mistake-they blamed
> Raymond Lowey.  Use of the painted rims on the Alpine (along with the fins)
> great emphasized length-they credited that to Bourne and thought it was much
> better.

That's too bad.  Since Howes designed the Alpine with non-peaked headlight
rims.  It was the Rootes family that decided it had to have the peaked rims
- and ruined the teardrop look Howes intended.  Howes original shape worked
fine with the small chrome non-peaked rings.

To see a picture of Howes' design:

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/feature/back_issues_00/jun_00/june.shtml

Note, I believe Lowey was the guy who had the design studio that Howes
worked at, but Lowey had nothing to do with the Alpine.
Jay