RE: Coil

To: jstanco@jstanco.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Coil
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:56:01 -0800
John,

Got a voltmeter?

If so measure the voltage at the point (red lead voltmeter) with the black
lead
of the voltmeter on a conductive portion of the car chassis.

If when the points are opened, the voltmeter reads battery voltage.
When the point close, the voltmeter should read very close to 0v.
Both the above MUST occur or else you will not get spark.
If the voltage reading on points open is the battery voltage, then your
coil is probably good (not open).
If you pass this then proceed.

Now if you have a ohmmeter too, measuring the resistance between coil
terminals
should yield .5 to 3 ohms (depends on your coil).  If you get a reading in
that
range, the coil is very likely good.
If you pass this then proceed.

Lastly, its possible for the coil resistance to show good, yet yeild a weak
or no spark.
This happens when the secondary coil windings open, or have insulation
breakdown.
In this case you will need to try to watch the gap of a spark plug, while
you crank.
If its not a nice big blue spark, replace the condenser.  If that dont do
it, replace
the coil.

Jarrid Gross