Re: Weber, Vacuum advance - Electronic Ignition

To: SunbeamAlpine64@aol.com
Subject: Re: Weber, Vacuum advance - Electronic Ignition
From: Jarrid Gross <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:06:17 -0700
Mark,

You have several choices on the weber/vacuum advance issue.
1) have the dritributor recurved for full mechanical advance.
2) Ignore the problem and pay a minor economy penalty.
3) Connect manifold vacuum to the distributor advance.

#1 is expensive and still doesnt give the economy that
the extra advance gives at part throttle.

#2 is self explanetory.

#3 is a decent compromise, it gives a similar vacuum level
at part throttle condition, while giving no vacuum advance at
wide open throttle (when the engine would ping if over advanced).

On electronic ignition, its a great way to elliminate a maintainance
item.  The right kit will be a set and forget affair.
Electronic ignition yeilds a hotter spark at higher RPMs(more dwell)
also
usually yields easier starts, and higher reliability than pionts.

Some systems are better than others. Best to ask around on this one,
I am somewhat biased.

Jarrid Gross
SII