Re: Brake Caliper in Freezer

To: lauri.lehtinen@pp.nic.fi, jasonraser@yahoo.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Caliper in Freezer
From: JACranwell@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:16:38 EDT
I've used the oven concept, plus a generous amount of dry ice to replace the
roller bearings on a DKW 1000 (2-stroke) engine.

However, if you need to do this with the caliper, then you have a problem.

I would suggest starting by trying the piston in the cylinder first, with the
seals out. If it does not fit, then you either have a problem with
corrosion/dirt, or the pistons are oversized. Are they new?

If that works, then you just need a little brake grease, a lot of patience,
the ability to cuss copiously, the willingnes to sacrifice a few skinned
knuckles, and they should go in.

Make sure the channels that the lips of the dust seals fit into are clean,
and free of crud. That should help. I find it also helps to insert the base
of the piston into the outer lip of the dust cover, before easing the lower
lip into the cylinder channel. The base of the piston is rounded, to help
insertion through the seals.

Good luck,

Julian.