Fill 'er up!

To: "Bill Laucher" <blaucher@houston.rr.com>
Subject: Fill 'er up!
From: 110156.3206@compuserve.com
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:57:42 -0400
I would not recommend using the unleaded premium because of
the additives in the gas to achieve that higher octane.  They will
only cause even more deterioration of non-metal fuel system
parts.  Modern materials that we all use in our car projects are
more resistant to this deterioration.

Lead substitute is not the same as octane booster, although I
have seen a combination product claiming to do both.  You might
want to use lead substitute  if the head has the original type of
seat material.  Cast iron heads require it. The best solution is
to dig deep and pay to get the hardened seats installed, as
others have recommended.  Might be a good idea to get valve
guides while it's in the machine shop.

If your local auto parts stores don't have lead substitute, try
calling a farm equipment dealer, motorcycle shop (such as a
Harley dealer), or a marine dealer (if Houston has any).

Carl Wade
Williamson, New York State    USA    (near Lake Ontario)

B395000858 LRX     (getiing ready to start structural repair)