Jumping third

To: "Alpine" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jumping third
From: "lauri lehtinen" <lauri.lehtinen@pp.nic.fi>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:18:14 +0300
Got a full synch gearbox from -66 Super Minx, it was easy to put in and works
great when thinking the old one. Except third gear is not very much in love
with his work when motor-braking. It tends to jump off. (And, of course,
ratios are not sporty.)
    Might this jumpin' have something to do with that big nut just outside the
box on the main saft (inside the aluminium "tail"), which was secured with a
lock washer? I did not notice any torgue settings in books, so I tightend it
as was given to the nut INSIDE the box. One old guru said these nuts take the
axial load from the gears which are not straight cut. On the other hand, all 4
boxes I have had this nut loose, torgued by fingers only? Sorry, I can't
remember correct terms.
    I have massive oil leaks, too. I think it leaks from both ends, and only
wonder how long it takes when I have totally lubricated clutch palate, now
there is no slip. Maybe it leaks from (PAPER?) gasget around the primary saft
and never travels to the clutch...

How to fix jumping, have I to open that box now or at september?
Have you any special comments about leaks?

and, of course, I have lots of more questions, but I remember those only after
2 minutes later!

Larry