Re: More engine questions

To: "O.K. Welty" <okwelty@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: More engine questions
From: jumpinjan <jservaites@woh.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 08:17:07 -0700
"O.K. Welty" wrote:

> I opened up the engine yesterday and everything looks good. Did all of these
> engines come with a double timing chain? Also mine had a huge Borg and Beck
> pressure plate and a super thick and heavy flywheel. The clutch disc is shot
> and I know the one in my Minx is weak where is the best place to get a new
> one? Also if I am going to use the flywheel from the 1500 it is going to
> need a new ring gear I assume this is replaceable like other cars?

Yes, all the engines came with the double-row timing chain. You can get
parts from Rick or Kurt (their addresses can be found at:
http://sunbeamalpine.org/forsale/businesses.html). Make sure that the
shop that replaces the ring gear has experience. Some shops over heat
the ring gear with a torch and that changes the shape of it and it will
slip on the flywheel. There is a procedure in the workshop manual to do
it correctly.
Jan
--