Re: alternator

To: "Bill Mounce" <bmounce@bellatlantic.net>,
Subject: Re: alternator
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 07:53:28 -0700
The best deal that I have found is the alternator conversion that Tom
Wiencek wrote up, using the self regulating alternator for a 78-80 Datsun
pickup, the 82-84 Mazda B2000, or the 82-84 ford courier. There are two
types, one is $40.00 and one is $90.00 I bought the $40.00 one. Tom used the
$90.00. The guy at the alterantor rebuild shop that I bought it from advised
against the more expensive one becuse although he stood to make more money,
they were essentially the same and on an old car like that, I owuldn't need
the extra juice. THe only difference is that the $40.00 is wired
differently, and puts out 5 amps less. This alternator will fit the early
cars with headers. The conversion with a wiring schematic can be viewed at
the TJ Higgins site, (Alpines 1959-1968) linked through Ian's site, and you
had to go there to find out about this list! IF you still can't get hooked
up, contact me personaly.
     On my series 3, that I drive pretty much EVERY DAY, I have a AC Delco,
I have used that and a one wire. They are too big for an early car with
headers so don't fool with that unless you have to. Lou