Oil Pressure...New Engine

To: "List, Alpine" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Pressure...New Engine
From: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 21:35:36 -0500
Success!!!!!

I'm pleased to report that at 8:45pm EST this evening, my oil pressure
gauge finally came to life and registered =20psi with the engine turning
on the starter (no plugs) and a fairly tired battery.

I followed several of the suggestions offered by the list, including
filling the oil cooler after disconnecting one of the pipes at the
block. I got about the same amount of oil in the cooler as on the
suspension and the floor. On completion, I still got no oil pressure
when I cranked the engine on the starter for a considerable time.

Finally decided that I should attempt to force some oil back down the
pump discharge pipe (as suggested by Jarrid). Fortunately I had a second
set of oil cooler rubber pipes, so I disconnected the rear pipe from the
block and moved it aside,  and fitted one of the spare ones, with its
open end sticking up above the engine compartment. I fitted a small (3
1/4") funnel in the end, and poured about two funnels full of engine oil
into the pipe....this is a very slow process...however it eventually
disappeared somewhere. I then removed the funnel and applied about 15
psi air from a small compressor into the end of the pipe. Strange noises
of something moving were heard from the engine. I then refitted the
funnel in the end of the pipe. My intention was to crank the engine on
the starter, and if the pump actually started pumping, oil would appear
in the funnel before blowing everywhere else. Turned the key, and after
about five turns, lo and behold, the funnel started filling with oil.
Stopped everything, drained and removed the second pipe and refitted the
original pipe, and checked that the system seemed to be correct and
tight. By the way, by this time, there is another 1/2 litre or so of oil
on the floor etc. Turned the starter key and waited. After about 18
seconds I thought the needle started to move, so I stopped and let the
battery rest. Next time I cranked, the oil pressure started to come up
right away, and held steady between 15 and 20 psi.

Thanks again to all those who offerered suggestions and support. By the
way, when building the engine, I had taken the precaution of using STP
on all the bearing surfaces (as mentioned by Jan E.) just in case this
sort of thing happened. I won't be starting the engine on gas until I
can get the car outside (its in my basement right now) which will
probably be in two or three weeks when all the snow is gone and the
ground starts firming up.

John Slade