Re: Alpines and Tigers in France

To: "David Brower" <dbrower@loonland.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alpines and Tigers in France
From: "Denis STEVENS" <dstevens@online.fr>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 01:11:38 +0100
Hi, David

Yep, there are few Alpine and very few Tigers in France, hopefully you'll
find useful informations following.

As Russ mentioned, Sunbeam Club de France web site is
http://sunbeamclubfrance.free.fr/ (not as good as sunbeamalpine.org which is
nothing but THE reference but ...), we also have a "non club" mailing list
which you can subscribe clicking on following link :

No problem at all to find LHD for sale in France even if there are less than
MGB (you know, those vulgar and so common cars !), you'll get a chance to
find some checking specialized magazines (LVA) or regular release of club
bulletin. For your record, we've been recently informed by member of
mailing-list of serie 3 GT in good conditions for sale at reasonable price
in Brittany : don't know whether it is still available but it would be easy
to check, no need to tell you I've no interest in this deal.

We have no serious parts supplier down there but as long as you know what
the Internet is and you speak english it's no big deal : getting the parts
from knowledgeable suppliers in USA or UK is kinda easy (we also know who
NOT to work with !). If you're not a mechanic at all (neither am I), I would
suggest to invest a little more and find a sound car rather than having to
restore one you'll not benefit immediately and will always cost you more on
the long run. I know exactly what I'm talking about (at least once in my
life !) since I've been more or less in same position one year ago, I bought
a serie V with overdrive in fairly good condition and even if it's not a
concourse one and there are still a lot of things to fix on it, it can
really be used as a daily driver. Getting one from USA wouldn't be less
expensive either considering freight cost, keep in mind those cars are
clearly undervalued which is a good or bad news depending whether you buy or
sell it.

Servicing the car doesn't cost that much either : it's very reliable and
simple to maintain for a good mechanic (I also have good contacts near by
Paris if needed). I even think Triumph or MG's are sometimes more expensive
to service considering higher demand on parts to suppliers leading them to
go too far on retail prices !

What you're calling "wing tailed" are series 1,2 & 3 which are really good
looking, series 4 & 5 are a little more modern in terms of mechanical design
which can be an advantage for novice. Tiger costs much more money and V6
conversion are nothing but illlegals since french regulations are much more
restrictive than in USA : means you won't get any chance to get a licence
plate number.

I'm not feeling like James Bond driving it but using it around Arc de
Triomphe or on countryside is a pure joyride.

Hope this helps, should you need further informations, feel free to contact
me off list !

Denis