Old stuff

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Old stuff
From: "Rick Harrison" <beamertwo@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 23:42:23 +1100
Dear listers,

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a great deal of trouble
keeping up with the postings on this list. It seems I don't check my email
for a few days and I am overcome by the volume - particularly when I'm not
at work.
Anyway, I thought I might comment on the Alpine/Fairlady postings that were
made earlier this month. When I first bought my Alpine (in the late 70s) a
friend of mine bought a Fairlady 1500 and frankly there was no comparison.
If we disregard the styling - something that Datsun seemed to do at the time
- the build quality and the dynamics of the Alpine were far superior to
those of the Fairlady - the thing drove like a truck - actually it sounded
like a truck too and my friend was always lusting after my beautiful
Jaeger/Smiths gauges. He was forever replacing the seals in the waterpump, a
problem which eventually led to the car's demise. While attempting to press
the bearing shaft out of the pump, we managed to break the main casting in
two. (It seems we were trying to press it out in the wrong direction!)
Anyway, a replacement pump was unavailable, new or used, so he sold the car
to a workmate who left in the carpark under the block of flats where he
lived until someone stole the wheels and then decided they needed the car to
go with them and took it too!
Journalists - what do they know?

Rick Harrison.