Rear Diff. Axle end play

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Diff. Axle end play
From: CANISDOG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:05:06 EST
List,
have any of you assembled a rear differential and done the axle end play
adjustment?

The reason I ask is I recently assembled all my rejuvenated parts and have
found that I have .012 thou play on one side and .00 on the other.  How do I
correct this and is it critical?

It seems to me that washers (paper) could be added to gain clearance, but how
do I reduce it?  Don't I need at least one paper gasket in between each mate,
ie. axle housing to brake plate, to seal housing etc. to seal the oil leakage.

Thanks for your help.

Paul