Transmission Questions

To: "Alpine List" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Transmission Questions
From: "Timothy R. Stiffy" <tstiffy@pulsenet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:52:16 -0800
I mentioned that I plan on installing a new transmission with overdrive in the
Spring (hopefully before the Invasion II). When I bought my S1, the car it
came with a synchronized transmission installed, a spare transmission, and an
uninstalled overdrive unit. The overdrive unit is missing the solenoid valve
but appears complete. Instead of rebuilding the O/D unit, I purchased a
rebuilt SV transmission with a rebuilt O/D already installed. This is what I
plan to install this Spring. At the Invasion, I purchased a standard length
drive shaft to shorten for the unit. So, with that, here are my questions:

(1) What is the proper length for the drive shaft for a SV transmission with
overdrive?
(2) I'm assuming that the spare transmission that came with the car is the
original S1 transmission. How can I tell if the transmission is a S1? The
marking on the case is:
27 6 60
7DA15778
1980643
(3) Before I put the overdrive unit on Ebay, anyone interest in purchasing it?
The serial number is 25/3046/001500 and as I said, the solenoid is missing. I
don't know the condition of the unit, so whoever buys it, figure a rebuild
might be necessary. If anyone is interested, contact me off-list.
(4) The car is already fitted with the S1 type overdrive relay and column
switch. Should I buy a SV setup with a new relay and switch?

Any and all responses would be appreciated.

Tim
S1 Alpine