Re: Transmission is out

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Transmission is out
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:07:10 -0800
David wrote:
> [...]
weren't aligned.  I repositioned the forks, could not get the (I think
reverse) to line up perfectly.  Its off by about a quarter to eighth inch.
The shift rod cover turns freely with the cover off, but when I put it back
in place, it will not move side to side.  I eilthr have 1st and 2nd or 3rd
and 4th depending where i put the shifting tine.  Could the forks be in
wrong?  The trans is ser III non syncro with overdrive. <<<<<

I am not an expert on transmissions.  But, since I haven't seen anyone
jumping to provide info, all throw in some thoughts.  You say it will not
move side to side.  I assume that means as in neutral.  If you look at the
top of the tranny, there are three brass colored shifting forks mounted on
three rods.  Each of these brass forks has a square notch cut out of the
top - perhaps about 5/8" wide.  When the tranny is in neutral, all of these
notches should line up.  Thus, when you turn your shift lever from side to
side, the finger should slide back and forth between these aligned notches.

My first thought is that one of the shift forks is pushed up or down into a
gear.  And, when you put the shifter down on top, it is not dropping into
where it should be.  If upon looking at it, you find this to be true, push
on the one that is engaged to line it up.  If you can't get it to budge
with your fingers, you can either try putting the shift lever top on, with
the finger in the notch of the one that is not aligned with the others.
Once it is bolted up, you should have enough leverage to shift it into
place.  A rubber mallet might also tap it up too.

I can't imagine a situation where they are all lined up in neutral and you
can't get the shifter lever to move side to side in neutral.  Perhaps you
simply are dropping the top on with the finger falling above or below that
notch.  But, that is not easy to do!

If this still doesn't get you to a place where it is working right, let me
know.  I might have some other thoughts.

Are you aware of this tranny ever working?  What was done between then and
now?

Jay