Rear Axle and Retorquing

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Axle and Retorquing
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 24 Aug 2001 14:08:12 EDT
I happened to come accross the Mercury Capri ('71-78) website and they mention
two interesting rear axles- code "S" which is a 3.44:1 nad code "R" which is a
3.22:1    Has anybody tried to fit one of these into an Alpine?

Second, not having used an old head gasket in many years, I can't remember how
to retorque- do you break the nuts/bolts loose and then retighten or do you
just retighten?

Thanks,

Jan Eyerman

matttrebelhorn@netscape.net (Matthew Trebelhorn) wrote:
Is it a good idea to replace the head bolts when replacing the head gasket?

On some engines, studs/bolts are replaced as a matter of course, due to
stretch, fatigue, etc.   On the other hand, the Alpine head bolts are pretty
sturdy, and aren't torqued very high...

If they *should* be replaced, what size are they, and what is a good source?

Many thanks,
Matt

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/