Thanks Gary Strom

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Thanks Gary Strom
From: MrZAG57@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 22:49:27 EDT
I am sending this to the list because of the interest you have indicated in
the BIG motor I am building. It has been a while since I have given you an
update and here is some bits & pieces.

First I put the car as it is on a chassis Dyno this past monday. If Jarrid
and I have done the math correctly accounting for friction losses, we have a
1600 putting out 100hp and 100 ft/lb of torque. This is from an engine built
at 10.5CR. Pretty respectable considering the engine was put together in
March of 1999 and has 15 race weekends on it and HAS NEVER BEEN OUT OF THE
CAR. Original bearings ect. We did this to get a basis from which to measure
improvement of the BIG Motor.

Second, Gary Strom sent me the David Vizard article on modifying the Rootes
cylinder head. I immediately took it to the boys at "Precision" and they
mocked it up for the bridgeport and cut the pattern into the head. The
cylinder chambers now CC at 41 with .005 cut from the stock head deck height
to true it up. We will be at 11:1 CR.

Third, by next weekend we should be assembling the engine and putting it in
the car. I have a race this coming Monday which I will run with the 1600 and
then pull it. It will get fresh bearings ASAP to be the back up for the BIG
motor. We really don't expect the BIG motor to go BANG, but should it I will
have a VERY reliable backup.

Fourth, I have been shooting a lot of pictures of the whole process and will
send anyone who requests pictures of the important stuff. Moving the water
passages, relieving the block for the Ford rods, Vizard stuff. As soon as the
thing is complete I will also send the list the build sheet with all of the
part numbers.

Fifth, Jarrid is working on a HIGH volume oil pump using an MGB pump housing.
If that goes anywhere he has promised to share the details.

I am sure I have forgotten something important, so as a brief summary here's
what I am building:

3.375 Bore ( .165 Over Bore )
3.35 Stroke ( .100 Stroker )
1965 CC Displacement ( 240 cc Increase )
Major Head Work
1.60 Intake
1.40 Exhaust
Intake Manifold runners cut to full spacer opening. Intake ports "Matched".
Exhaust Ports Relieved, Matcxhed to header ports
Eagle Spec Prod Ford 2000cc rods 5.7"
J&E Pistons
Hasting Rings
Manley Valves
Isky SB 5 Cam Grind
"Gasket Works" Custom Designed Copper Head Gasket

Hoping for 125hp +

Eric