Re: Wilwood M/C

To: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>, <ellis838@concentric.net>,
Subject: Re: Wilwood M/C
From: "Barbara Blue" <the_blues@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:07:05 -0500
Lou, I am glad to see that someone has done the legwork (hee hee) on
substituting a dual system master cylinder for the original.  However, I
don't think a person should be diddling with the size of the rear wheel
cylinders, as even small changes will have an effect on brake balance.  If,
over the years, the linings and front brakes remained constant, it is very
likely the changes to the rear slaves were an attempt to fight premature
rear wheel lockup under hard braking.  If the rears lock up, you loose
directional control, unless you let off the binders and hit the object you
were in a panic to avoid.  A very awkward situation which I am personally
familiar with.  Another variable (besides lining and brake area) is the
amount of servo built into the drum brakes.  This serves as a primative
power brake, and I believe was used mostly on American cars.  I have no idea
how the Alpine brakes are designed.

On to the dual system.  The early dually's (American Motors) used a "Dual
Diagonal" (left front plumbed to right rear, etc.) system.  I have seen
others that are front/rear split.  Does anyone know which is best and why?
Bill