Re: [Re: steel wheel color]

To: Ian Spencer <ian@sunbeamalpine.org>, CMeinel464@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Re: steel wheel color]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 2 Feb 2001 22:06:41 EST
That makes sense.  When the Alpine I came out, it was the only Rootes car to
use 13 inch wheels.  So the wheels could be "customized" to the car.  Late in
1961, about 1/2 way in the Alpine Series II production run, the Hillman Super
Minx was launched.  This was the first Rootes saloon to use 13 inch wheels.
It actually used the same wheel as the Alpine.  From 1957 (with the
introduction of the "Series" Minx) onward, Hillman's used "Foam White" wheels
(color code 8)(also called "Foam Gray").  From a manufacturing point of view,
it is cheaper and easier to just use one color wheel for all applications.
This is apparently what Rootes did.

Jan Eyerman (past member of the American Institute of Industrial Engineers)

Ian Spencer <ian@sunbeamalpine.org> wrote:
Curt,
The Series I and Series II's all had steel wheels that were painted to
match the body color. The brocheures are correct. I have a lake blue SII
with steel wheels painted lake blue to match. Late in the SII production
they quit painting them body color and went to white, sometime shortly
before they went to the wheels with the larger holes ( I can provide
Serial Number if you want it). GT's didn't appear until Series 3 and bu
that time they had gone to white wheels on both GT and ST. - Ian

--
Ian Spencer <www.sunbeamalpine.org>
'61 Series II Alpine B9104704 LRX