Alpine Dana 44 rear end Swap???

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Alpine Dana 44 rear end Swap???
From: Aaron Sudds <asudds@mio.ten.fujitsu.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:54:24 -0500
I am thinking of a swap of my original rear end for a Dana 44 rear end
similar to that which is used on the Tiger (Salisbury is the UK version of
Dana).  The Dana 44 gears swap into the Tiger Axles and the strength is far
superior.

My question is, Has anyone performed a swap like this to accommodate the
Wire Wheels with splined hubs to their Alpine.  The 4 bolt option would be
easy, however I don't know the problems I may have with the Wire Wheels.

I know spring perches are just a matter of cut and weld in the correct
position, and the U-joint may need to be modified on the drive shaft.  The
big question is can the splined hubs be modified to fit the axle.

The Dana axle comes in jeeps in  2.0-4.0 ratios so a good ratio should be
easy to find to keep the revs down and still have good off the line
performance.
Any help is ALWAYS appreciated!!!

Aaron T. Sudds
1968 Sunbeam Alpine SV