Labour views [was Re: oil]

To: jan.eyerman@usa.net, rgibbs@pacbell.net
Subject: Labour views [was Re: oil]
From: "J Arzt" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 09:05:48 -0600
    Of course, the view that most major companies now have of their
employees is that they are a liability, not an asset. That's why so many big
corporations will give people the boot just before they're eligible to
retire, or mess around with pension systems that the retired employees
earned fair and square.

    If the news services have it right, maybe someone in England is getting
the right idea:

Tea Lady Is Key to Corporate Success?
November 22, 2000 8:29 am EST

LONDON (Reuters) - Companies who want to bolster staff morale should ditch
their vending machines and bring back the tea lady, Britain's Industrial
Society said Wednesday.
Staff should also be allowed to stay in bed if they don't feel like coming
into the office, a report on attitudes to work said.

The society called on employers to encourage staff gossip and socializing,
by restoring institutions like the tea lady and the after-work pint which
have been sidelined in the drive for greater efficiency.

"How do we get a friendly working atmosphere? It's simple -- we allow
canteens, tea ladies, and water coolers, we allow people to talk to each to
other," Judith Doyle, the author of the report called "New Community or New
Slavery? The Emotional Division of Labor," told Sky TV.

She called on employers to give staff three "duvet days" per year, for those
mornings they cannot drag themselves out of bed.

This should fall in place quite nicely as we "repatriate" to a protectorate
of the Crown. Will we all get tea and crumpets from a trolley in the office
at tea time?

Jon Arzt