Re: [Re: Europe trip]

To: bmounce@impop.bellatlantic.net, david_kelly@ineos-a.com
Subject: Re: [Re: Europe trip]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 7 Nov 00 11:15:15 EST
The neat thing about traffic circles in the USA is that different states have
different laws regarding them.... for example, in New York State, the CIRCLE
has right of way and incoming traffic has to yield to the circle, in New
Jersey (New Jersey borders on New York), the INCOMING traffic has right of way
and the Circle must yield... needless to say it benefits you alot to check
license plates-a New York car in the circle will not yield and an incoming New
Jersey car will not yield-makes for lots of fun and excitement!

New Jersey recently raised the speed limit on some roads to 65 MPH-sounds good
except that our average speed is about 5 MPH in all of our traffic jams-must
be great at 2:00 AM when you can actually move!  I could take an interstate
highway to work in the morning and theoretically be there in about 20-25
minutes but I take local back roads and it takes me 45 minutes-why?-the
interstate is creaping along and it would take me over an hour!

Jan Eyerman
New Jersey Resident for 27 years (some day I'll wise up!)

bmounce@impop.bellatlantic.net wrote:
Dave, come up north to Jersey and further, we have plenty of traffic circles
and 'rotaries' (as my Canadian friends call them).  There is nothing quite
like
being in north Jersey, and chancing into a traffic circle, looking to your
right and seeing a 64 Chevy with 200 lbs of banged up chrome bumper bearing
down on you, not even slowing as it enters the traffic flow, McDonald's bags
being flung out of one window, beer bottles out of the other, the driver's
eyes
wild with anxiety and his upper lip covered in sweat....

Ah, to be in the northeast in the fall!

I lived in Bournemouth for a year and found your roundabouts no fun at all,
too
tame.  Import some New Yorkers and get things going!

Bill