Re: Paint Formulas

To: bmounce@bellatlantic.net
Subject: Re: Paint Formulas
From: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:46:05 -0700
bmounce@impop.bellatlantic.net wrote:

> My body man (my cousin) tells me it is lacquer that is no longer used...

That's very true Bill. I have seen the old lacquer PPG formulas, but
listen everyone, those old organic pigments ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE!
They all have been superseded with the new lead-free, synthetic pigments
and that means we need to rematch our Roots colors to the new formula
data base that the manufactures have created. To get the correct color,
we need to find originally painted parts and match the colors again.
This is not a labor intensive process, like it use to be, because almost
every supplier has a color matching system that uses a spectrometer and
a computer data base. Usually, the computer will provide 3-4 sample
colors and then it will take a trained eye to find the closest match of
the samples to the original paint (about a 15 min. process with a
competent technician). Ian and I have seen a lot of cooperation from you
guys, by volunteering your paint samples, and we appreciate that a lot.
Ian and I will be posting the color matching information pretty soon up
at the web page so that everyone can benefit from it.
Thanks to everyone,
Jan Servaites

--