Stiff Shifting; Rear Gear box seal; Weird shift fork tunnel

To: "Alpines@Autox. Team. Net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stiff Shifting; Rear Gear box seal; Weird shift fork tunnel
From: "Michael B. Gardner" <mbgardner@core.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:57:07 -0400
My SV has recently been shifting hard.  I have installed the ball bearing
throw out over two years ago and haven't had any problem but had in the past
noticed the noise people have been complaining about on the list.  I
recently swapped drive shafts from a spare instead of replacing a bad
u-joint and have noticed more discharge from around the rear seal on the
gearbox. The spline was rusted a bit and gave me some trouble installing but
I just kind of knocked off the rust with some emery cloth instead of
polishing it on a wire wheel.

Q.1     Would this cause the seal to leak more?
Q.2     Can the real seal be replaced without R&R'ing the gearbox/engine?

Thinking that low gear oil might be contributing to stiff shifting, I
checked the oil level and added maybe a pint.  Still shifting stiff.  On
closer inspection of the leaking seal, I looked up at the bottom cover of
the shifting fork tunnel above the rear section of the gearbox and was
surprised to see the shifting linkage exposed through what look like an open
sardine can-like opening (1.5 * 3.5 inches) with a raise edge in the bottom
cover housing the shifting linkage.  I checked a spare gearbox and that
cover is smooth the entire length. Has anyone seen this more and importantly
have an extra cover that looks like it could snap on the opening?  The
linkage appeared oily-greasy and not rusted or corroded.  Could this
exposure still be cause of the stiff shifting?

Thanks.

Michael B. Gardner